We have a dedicated JFS Alumni website www.jfsconnect.com. Here you can keep up to date with alumni news and upload photos as well as network professionally.
We publish an Alumni magazine twice each year and this is sent to all those on our database.
The JFS archives are spread throughout the country but the majority is held at the London Metropolitan Archive. For more information please visit www.movinghere.org.uk and search for JFS.
An Extraordinary Past
JFS is Europe's largest and most successful Jewish secondary school. It was established in 1732 as the Talmud Torah of the Great Synagogue of London, serving orphans of the community.
In 1822, the School was relocated to Bell Lane in the heart of the East End where, throughout the 19th century, it absorbed thousands of immigrant children. At one time JFS had 4,000 children on roll and was the largest school in the world.
In the inter-war period, children often came straight from the Kindertransport to JFS. During World War II, students were evacuated to East Anglia and Cornwall and the School was destroyed by enemy action. It re-opened in 1958 in Camden Town where its location was central for the London Jewish community of the late 1950s.
Maintaining its tradition of mirroring the demography of the community, JFS left Camden Town in 2002 and relocated itself to state of the art facilities closer to the heart of North West London.